Some Design Thoughts For Your Cabinets
Organize your style thoughts
- Arts & Crafts
Clip pictures or scan magazines or pictures from the web
Get specific about the look you want-
- Traditional or casual
- Custom cabinet doors
- Dovetail drawer boxes
- Pullout or rollout shelving
- Wood tones or painted
- Embellishments (appliqués, corbels, onlays, etc.)
- What textures will you have (granite, tile floors, wood floors, etc)
- What is the room's focal point?
Provide builder plans if available or at least a sketch with measurements
- Think about what you like or don't like about your current space
- Decide what's important:
- increase lighting
- is this the "hub" of the house
- is this an "eat in" kitchen
Think about the organizers and time savers
- Pull out trays
- Drawer organization with cutlery trays, knife blocks, spice/can storage
- Island cabinetry/work tables
- Pot and pan drawers
Remember: The more you share with your cabinetmaker, the more likely you are to enjoy your new space.
Ask any real estate professional and they will tell you... the kitchen IS important. Families have gathered in the kitchen for generations and there is no reason to think that your kitchen, if properly planned, won't be a family gathering spot.
Not all kitchens are created equal. There are some kitchens that are large and some that are small, but anyone can have the kitchen they would like in their particular situation. Look to custom cabinet doors and cabinet styles to set the mood. The dovetail drawers, pullout or rollout shelving and hidden waste containers can all work with you to achieve an organized kitchen while helping you to put your "thumbprint" on the job.